Do you know that fooling Google is becoming harder with every passing day?
With ever-changing algorithms, websites often struggle in developing and maintaining a ranking on search engine results page (SERPs). Search engine optimization (SEO) teams are recklessly working to improve their results. Yet, they miss out on crucial areas that improve return on investment (ROI). You must stop if you still use keyword cannibalization to appear on the first page of search engines. Today, we will walk you through five actionable tips to help your SEO teams boost productivity.
#1 Content & SEO Teams Must Work Together
The content team focuses on creating quality content that the SEO teams try to rank on SERPs.
Alignment becomes crucial when both processes are dependent on one another.
Here are the two aspects you must focus on to create proper alignment:
• Communicating Research and Ideas
Encourage teams to discuss relevant data, statistics, and ideas for enhanced content creation. Make sure the focus remains intact on aligning the content with search intent.
Integrate communication between both teams as an integral part of the entire process. Communicating merely at certain points won’t produce results. Sometimes teams need to go back to certain topics of discussion in the past. Providing relevant communication tools is the way to go. Consider using an online cloud where team members get access to important information at all times. Lastly, assign team leaders who streamline interactions at every point.
• Combining SEO and Content Workflows
Content and SEO teams have different workflows. But combining the two will ensure effective communication and an enhanced content creation process. For example, the SEO team can find relevant keywords and data when the content team is researching a certain topic. Before the writer begins writing, he has a list of relevant keywords and links required in the content. Remember that you can make both teams work together, regardless of your current workflow.
#2 Set Realistic SEO Goals
Setting realistic goals is important before executing your SEO strategies. Most businesses tie up SEO outcomes to metrics like revenue. Discuss the goals you strive to achieve with your efforts.
Here are some questions you must ask for setting effective SEO goals:
- Do you plan on increasing website traffic? If yes, what percentage of increase do you expect in a certain time frame?
- Is your website page loading speed too slow? Can you identify the reasons and make necessary modifications to improve that? Choosing a managed hosting can help you in speeding up the website.
- Is your bounce rate rapidly increasing? How can your SEO efforts ensure your target audience stays engaged?
- Do you spend the maximum part of your budget on paid advertising? How can you modify your strategy to increase organic traffic?
Many businesses set their goals based on quality assurance support. Quality assurance helps in identifying the actual reasons behind customer churn rate. After all, not every customer types in big negative reviews. A detailed QA analysis helps set up effective future goals.
#3 Conduct a Competitive Analysis
Analyzing your competitors is a crucial step to improving your own SEO strategy. Take a look at their organic search ranking, reviews, and backlink status. Let your analysis dive deep into their customer segments, USPs, social media, etc.
You can also conduct an entire SEO audit to check their page loading speed, mobile friendliness, etc.
But how do you identify the competitors to target?
You must have a list of your top competitors. But start by targeting the ones that appear on the first page of Google for your targeted keywords. They might be your indirect competitors but it’s essential to review them. Focus equally on your defined and online competitors to stay ahead in the game. Your search traffic will drastically increase as you move along.
#4 Build Relevant Topic Clusters Targeting Specific Keywords
Keyword research is an integral part of every SEO strategy. Many large brands create numerous content pieces in a week. But the content rarely targets the right audience. Understanding search intent is a core step one must follow for an improved ROI. Invest your time in conducting advanced keyword research that improves website traffic and drives conversions.
Next comes the importance of building topic clusters for improving your search engine ranking. Topic clusters cover detailed information on a specific topic. It helps in indicating to Google that the website focuses on creating value-driven content. With topic clusters, you can cover the complete spectrum of a keyword group. All relevant long-tail keywords are easily inserted within the content. It also gives search engines an idea that you are more authoritative than your competitors.
Search engines no longer focus simply on keywords for determining the ranking. They search for answers to frequent user queries and subtopics covering depth. Start by identifying your target audiences’ search intent. Then, focus on breaking down the topic to target in-depth information.
#5 Align Your Strategy With the Conversion Funnel
Is your SEO strategy aligned with the content appearing at different stages of the funnel?
Your customer’s needs evolve through the journey and you must prioritize delivering useful content. Many companies focus only on the customers in the middle of the funnel. MoFu content focuses on the product and its functions and features. Focus equally on ToFu, MoFu and BoFu to ensure your audience moves through the journey and converts.
Discover and Use Customer Pain Points
Start by identifying the biggest struggles or challenges of your target audience. Map keywords to each pain point and address the concerns in detail. Let’s look at the steps required in every stage of the funnel:
- Focus on symptoms rather than solutions in the awareness stage. Most people aren’t even aware of their pain points. Work on creating informational blog posts targeting their problem in detail.
- Users in the middle of the funnel look for detailed information about your product’s features, functionality, etc.
- Lastly, people at the bottom require advanced information like comparison posts to reach their final decision.
Additional Areas To Focus On
- Focus equally on branded and non-branded search queries
- Keep your team updated with latest SEO trends at all times. Give them time in a week to go through detailed blog posts, podcasts, etc. to improve their knowledge. It’s extremely important as Google keep changing its algorithm
- Delegate tasks based on skillsets. For instance, a person good with keyword research shouldn’t be handling website page loading speed.